Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Barking "bully"

Bubba has definitely found his voice. When he turned about 7-8 months he started barking at other dogs or animals would see down the street or out the window. He started this when he was in my parents' house in Jersey where the windows are not 34 floors high and dogs walk by the front doorway. I got worried that this behavior would be unbearable, especially in my small little studio and where my neighbors can hear his bark down the hall.

Bubba barks at people in the hallway and large dogs outside, but not all of them. I trained him not to bark more than a couple of times inside the apartment. He barks at the noise hears at the door and then he gruffs and whimpers and comes to me to acknowledge what he's heard. So cute.

But until this week I didn't know what do to about him barking at larger dogs. I didn't even understand why only certain dogs and not all dogs. The only thing I realized is if he knows the dog, then he doesn't bark. Once he approaches and meets the new large dog, gets a little sniffing in, he's back to his own business or he'll start playing.

Maybe it's a dominant thing? Maybe he has to announce his presence?

News about Rocky. We bumped into Rocky the other morning. Bubba didn't even flinch. He was eager to greet him, but he didn't bark at all! Progress!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home