Sunday, October 15, 2006

Who is Bubba Barkley?

bubba_table_3Bubba is a Coton de Tulear. He was born March 26, 2006 and found a new home with me in NYC on July 30th. He loves to have his belly rubbed and is the friendliest pup on the block, dogs and people alike.

Bubba is long for his breed so he'll probably grow up to be over 15lbs. I think he's almost 15 lbs and he's 6.5 months old. He's all white with very light champagne markings on the tips of his ears and along his back. His nose and eyes are deep dark black, a good sign of gene health.

I bought Bubba from a breeder in Oklahoma that I found from puppyfind.com. I didn't think I would buy a pet off the internet, but look at me! M. Faulk was wonderful in educating me on what to pay attention to when looking at a puppy. She gave me great advice and provided an excellent reference as well.

Why "Bubba"?
I had a few names in mind: Barkley, Bubba, Dash, and Buster. Barkley from Sesame Street. Bubba from Bubba Crosby on the Yankees, Dash from The Incredibles, and Buster from Arrested Development. Bubba came out on top as the favorite name with all my friends, but Barkley was not far behind. Thanks to Alice, I just named him Bubba Barkley, though I call him Bubba for short.

Bubba's Likes
Bubba is quite the funny one. He loves to drink water from the shower. He'll stick his head into the tub area and lap up the water as it falls. His faces gets all wet and makes him look so skinny.

Good boy, Bubba!
"Sit" - I taught Bubba how to sit and within two days he knew the command. I think that's the easiest one to teach and can be used the most frequently as the "substitute" when you want him to not do something else.

"Paw" - I also taught him "paw" and "up" before I enrolled him in puppy training.

"Look" - In puppy training I learned how to walk with him and teach him "look". It really helped me teach him not to pull on the leash since he was trained to walk by my side and expect treats. What better way to learn!

"Stay" - I haven't spent much time with him, but he's learning stay a bit more. I'm hoping to practice with him enough so that he'll sit in one spot while I walk around him.

"Stand" - I tried to teach him this one, but it's not the most natural one for him to catch on to. At least I don't think so. I guess I should just practice with him more.

The best one of all.. he's crated while I'm gone so he doesn't chew up the entire apartment. When I ask him to come to me when I'm by his crate, I say "Night, night" and he'll know. He walks into the crate and sits in the back to wait for his treat. I'm glad I don't have to put him in the crate against his will.

Bubba's Friends
In my neighborhood, Battery Park City, there are many many dogs. Many owners have more than one dog. Here is a list of dogs that we've met in our few months living here:
- Clint: white, large Maltipoo
- Sasha: Pug that is one month older
- Charlotte: Maltese
- Lex: German Shepherd
- Yogi: Minature Schnauzer
- Chase and Oscar: Black and white Papillons
- Oliver: Terrier
- Cinnamon:
- Ike and Diego: Pug and Chihuahua
- Cannoli: Coton de Tulear mix
- Fred: Coton de Tulear
- Goose: Havanese
- Lily: Havanese
- Cesar: Havanese
- Joey: Lhasa Apso
- Max: Minature Schnauzer
- Jack: Shepherd-Collie mix
- Mighty Dog: Maltese
- Pebbles:
- Sammy: Dachshund
- Katie: Shiba-Inu
- Mishka: Pomeranian
- Taz: Rottweiler
- Tahoe: Siberian Husky
- Miller: Westie
- Louis: Yorkie
- Lepa: Teacup Yorkie
- Neilsen: Shih-tzu
- Butter: White Shepherd
- Harley: Havanese
- Apollo: Puggle

Of course, we can't forget a couple of other "family" related dogs:
- Fraggle: Corgi-husky mix
- Sweetie: Soft-coated Wheaten Terrier
- Sammy: Black Lab

2 Comments:

At 9:16 PM, Blogger Selah Kaitlyn said...

hi bubba!!!

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Cindy said...

Glad to you meet you Selah. Maybe one day I'll venture to Philly and meet you! :) I love to play with puppies and kids.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home